Register: Flip flop can store one-bit of information. It orders to store multiple bits of information, we require multiple flip flops. The group of flip flops, that used to hold (store) the binary data is called a register circuit.
Formation of register:
General and simple register are made with one flip flop circuit and its work is done by the clock pulse. By the formation and work’s it’s different. Without the combinational circuit, it possible to make.
- The register is used to storing data permanently.
- The register can use as cash memory.
- It’s can use printer and keyboard buffer.
- The register is used in the calculator and digital clock.
Types of register:
- Based on input-output: 4 types:
1.Serial In − Serial Out
2. Serial In − Parallel Out
3.Parallel In − Serial Out
4. Parallel In − Parallel Out
2. Based on Operation:
Shift register :
The shift register circuit, that allows serial input and produces serial output is known as Serial In – Serial Out (SISO) shift register. 4-bit SISO shift register :
There is 6 Shift register circuit:
1. Serial in Serial Out Shift Register (SISO)
2. Serial In Parallel out shift Register (SIPO)
3. Parallel in Parallel Out Shift Register (PIPO)
4. Parallel in Serial Out Shift Register (PISO)
5. Bidirectional Shift Registers